Eating better may not be as hard as you think. An overhaul of the diet isn’t necessary – just start doing one thing at a time – eat healthier now. (Prefer to watch versus read? Look below for video.)
Here are 6 simple tips for healthy eating – one tip at a time and you’ll be eating healthier before you know it!
- Double the number of vegetables on your plate and downsize the starchy carbs. Save 75% if not more of your caloric intake. Check this post for more info
- Buy fruits & veggies on sale or at least when in season; they will be much less expensive. You can always buy frozen and have them year around – fruits and vegetables. They’re often just as nutritious as their fresh counterparts.
- Go meatless on Monday or at least one day of the week. You will save the saturated fats in your diet, increase fiber AND you will be helping the environment. Check out www.MeatlessMondays.com
- Drain and rinse canned beans first and cut sodium content by about 40%.
- If you eat rice, make sure you eat brown rice or wild rice which are both whole grains. And you will be getting more vitamins and minerals as well as more fiber than its white counterpart.
- If you do dairy, make sure you are drinking nonfat or skimmed milk or soy milk. And if you drink whole milk (which btw is 3.25%), then you may want to switch to 2% first before ultimately going to nonfat or skimmed milk. Nutritionally, they are all the same except for the saturated fat and the calories in them. And if you don’t like that ‘blue water’ then you may want to switch to lactose-free milk or organic milk, which have a much richer consistency than regular nonfat milk. I think you will enjoy it more!